Lokayat visited Chattisgarh: A report
May 21, 2009 Leave a comment
Purpose of the visit:
2. To learn about the struggle in Raipur and surrounding areas in detail.
Highlights of the Trip:
Before leaving, we stayed in Bhillai on Sunday night, where we had interesting discussions with CMM activists, Ajay T G and Jagmohan Singh.
Some Interesting Facts that we Learned:
* Raipur: 10,000 labor produce business worth Rs. 1 Arab in a single day
* Iron-Ore: Sold at Rs. 10,000 per kg by the mining company to other countries. CG government gets Rs. 17 per kg as royalty
* WTO plans to sell off all the water in the world by 2011
* Stock Market down by 500 points means Rs. 100 Kharab out of India
* Indravati River sold to Essar Steel
* Shivnath River sold to Radius Waters for maintaining a dam made by government. Highlights:
1. 36 km stretch of river on both sides of company campus sold
2. Company gets Rs. 15 lakh from Industrial Development Corporation and 15 lakh from the Rural Development Corporation for maintaining the dam
3. Company can sell the water and if it does not sell an amount fixed in the contract, CG government will compensate for the losses incurred.
4. If the government wishes to cancel this contract, it will have to pay Rs. 400 crore as fine.
* Hierarchy of Contractors (Up to 4 contractors)
Chattisgarh Mukti Morcha Sum Up:
* Strength of around 10,000 workers, most of them in the age group 20-30
* Good strength of whole timers
* Have 4 kinds of Unions, one for each type of Industry:
o Sleepers for Railway tracks
* Study circles for workers
* Have a small library also
* Has 11 committees dedicated for different kinds of work
* A very nice environment for kids learn from elders and get inspired
Report by Rushal Thaker